When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and there is nothing to fear from them, then he is always stirring up some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. – Plato
This week, Reason magazine editor Jesse Walker tied with the ever-interesting Twitter feed of Radley Balko for the highest number of links; Walker supplied the first three items below the video (which you may wish to play while you read the link directly beneath it), and Balko the three items before it:
- In case you were wondering what it takes to get a cop fired these days.
- Politician who claims gay people are a threat to children, harms children. While drunk.
- Man arrested and shackled to a pole for three hours for the dastardly crime of using legal United States tender.
- Nom nom nom.
- This week in rapid ape evolution.
- Are they working with the “sex traffickers”, or is it a separate invasion?
- California city prosecutes a school principal for “child molestation” despite a complete lack of evidence in order to justify seizing the school, building a homeless shelter on its land and thereby scoring millions in federal funds.
- The past several weeks have made one thing crystal-clear: Our country faces unmitigated disaster if the Other Side wins.
- Man shoots another man at point-blank range; cops respond by firing wildly into a crowd, injuring nine innocent bystanders.
- How to minimize rape pregnancy statistics via bogus math.
- An outcome which surprised nobody but prohibitionists. (Via Mike Siegel)
- Total surveillance: it’s not just for sci-fi dystopias any more. (Via Nick Tolman)
- This week’s edition of “Never call the cops for any reason whatsoever”. (Via Popehat)
- Woman sentenced to five years in prison to “send a message” that adults shouldn’t have sex with other legal adults. Actually, she got off easy; the prosecutor was trying for 320. (Via reader Stephen Douglas)