The world is for thousands a freak show; the images flicker past and vanish; the impressions remain flat and unconnected in the soul. Thus they are easily led by the opinions of others, are content to let their impressions be shuffled and rearranged and evaluated differently. - Johann Von Goethe
As expected, it was kind of a quiet week for links; next week will probably be more of the same. But watch this space for an announcement of a few changes, coming on Friday, January 4th. My two videos this week are both Christmas-themed; the first is an introduction to Mr. Bingle, the “snow fairy” from a department store’s Christmas advertising beloved by generations of New Orleanians (including myself), and the second…well, listen for yourself. The first video was provided by my husband and the second by Franklin Harris (who also provided the last link before the one attached to the video). Every link before the first video was supplied by Radley Balko, and those between the videos by Jesse Walker, the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society, Michael Whiteacre, Grace (two links), and Walter Olson, in that order.
- E-book providers will happily tell the government what you’ve bought.
- The only reason this is news is that it’s actually being investigated.
- Two women subjected to body cavity search for littering.
- Headline of the week.
- Where are your papers?
- One of our planets is missing.
- Laws are only for the little people, never the elite.
- US declares a graphic novel a “terrorist operation”.
- 911 operator hangs up on a teenage girl calling about her dying father, then has her arrested for swearing.
- Jailed Los Angeles politician will continue to draw his $200,000 salary.
- 12-year-old girl arrested for accidentally taking a picture of another girl.