When hopes and dreams are loose in the streets, is well for the timid to lock doors, shutter windows, and lie low until the wrath has passed. For there is often a monstrous incongruity between the hopes, however noble and tender, and the action which follows them. It is as if ivied maidens and garlanded youths were to herald the four horsemen of the apocalypse. -
Eric Hoffer, The True Believer (section 5)
Though this was a fairly busy week in hooker news, it was actually fairly quiet for other interesting stuff (which really isn’t surprising around holidays). This week’s link champ is my best friend Grace, who called my attention to every link down to the first video (a new Amy Winfrey cartoon). The links between the videos were provided by Mike Siegel, Korhomme, EconJeff, AL 360 and Lenore Skenazy (in that order), with the last three from Radley Balko; the second video was discovered by Jesse Walker.
- Scientists may have finally figured out how homosexuality is inherited.
- Woman with inability to control her sexual arousal commits suicide.
- Cops tase woman for trying to buy too many iPhones.
- What could possibly go wrong?
- Big Brother is listening.
- Straight out of Bradbury: fiction dropped from US public schools in favor of “informational texts” about insulation and invasive plants.
- Rape victim who was accused of lying and theft by evil cops sues them and wins $1.5 million.
- Magician says he can make the so-called “fiscal cliff” disappear.
- This is what “feminism” should really mean, but never does.
- The evolutionary advantage of being devoured after sex.
- Gun control fanatic demands ban on imaginary gun.
- Cop glossary: “pit bull” = “dog we murdered”.
- Twelve letters that didn’t make the final cut.
Enjoy this STD PSA from a more enlightened era.