Of government, at least in democratic states, it may be said briefly that it is an agency engaged wholesale, and as a matter of solemn duty, in the performance of acts which all self-respecting individuals refrain from as a matter of common decency. – H.L. Mencken
Since this link feature developed from my guest-blogging on The Agitator, it’s only fitting that Radley Balko usually outscores everyone else as a source of links; since I don’t really think he “tweets” or “retweets” that much more than most of the other people I follow, perhaps he and I just have similar ideas of what’s both interesting and worth calling attention to. This time around every link down to the video is from his Twitter feed, plus the video itself; the first two below the video are courtesy of Lenore Skenazy, and the last two before the cartoon are from Grace.
- “Drinking to escape” usually isn’t quite so literal.
- Cops murder unarmed man, then destroy the video evidence.
- Woman faces 20 years in prison for massaging horses without a license.
- If you think Democrats are any less anti-science than Republicans, you’re wrong.
- No matter how many times I see a story like this, it never fails to bring tears to my eyes.
- If Obama was that unhappy with the ambassador, couldn’t he have just murdered him with a drone or something?
If you’ve ever wondered what it would look like if a seagull carried off a camera while it was running, this is the video for you.
- So, is the dirty little pervert going onto the “sex offender” registry?
- Another mother arrested for the “crime” of letting her kids play outside.
- Tired of conflicting claims about US federal spending? Here’s the chart for the past 35 years, per capita and adjusted for inflation.
- Neighborhood association sues a 4-year-old girl because her playhouse is too pink.
- Old boyfriends are sometimes hard to get rid of, but this is ridiculous.
- What contempt for the First Amendment looks like.
- Police chief imprisoned for robbing stripper.
- Yet another awe-inspiring nun.
- The longest-lived organism on Earth is over 100,000 years old.
- NASA engineers predict a fusion drive will be feasible in about 50 years.
- The New Yorker was temporarily banned from Facebook for “violating nudity standards” with this cartoon. Seriously.
- Insurance companies want to charge you for accidents you haven’t had yet.
- …then after the Twinkies, they move on to the harder stuff, like Chocodiles and Ding Dongs.
- Roberts, not Smithee.
- Police suspect fowl play.
- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
- Philadelphia persecutes man for cleaning up dangerous eyesore, demands he put all the rubbish back.